Re: [SystemSafety] FW: Invitation to Participate - Consumer Device Safety Standards

From: Steve Tockey < >
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 15:18:51 +0000

Peter,
Good question. I can't claim to be the expert in this, this is just my opinion. That said, ...

One thing is that OMG has a somewhat more streamlined consensus process that what's typically encountered in ISO/IEC. OMG can reach consensus sooner. And, given that OMG is some kind of recognized consensus body (I don't know what the proper ISO term is), any consensus agreements that come out of OMG can get on an ISO "fast track" process. OMG's CORBA (Common Object Request Broker Architecture) and UML (Unified Modeling Language) are ISO standards that were fast-tracked by this same process. So whether or not the work originates in OMG or ISO/IEC, in the end it's irrelevant because it can end up as an ISO/IEC standard either way.

One could also observe that by getting involved in this activity, OMG is maintaining (or, attempting to?) its relevance as a consensus body...