Re: [SystemSafety] Risk Based Planning and Assessment - tank farms

From: Carl Sandom < >
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 10:12:07 -0000

Andy,

You're definitely not alone in your thinking. An interesting book on the topic of risk assessment which is in agreement with your view is: The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable by Nicholas Taleb. I presented a paper at the Australian System Safety Conference in 2011 where I raised some of the problems I have encountered relating to risk assessments, one problem typically being an over reliance on 'expert judgement' (you can find the paper at http://www.isys-integrity.com/Papers.htm if you're interested). In my experience there is nearly always a need to improve the validity of safety assurance (i.e. risk assessment) claims through the use of meta-evidence (e.g.. present evidence about evidence to answer questions such as: who made the expert judgements?, how competent were they to do so? etc.).

Best Regards

Carl

Dr. Carl Sandom PhD CEng FIET MIEHF

Director and Consultant