Re: [SystemSafety] Risk Based Planning and Assessment - tank farms

From: Peter Bernard Ladkin < >
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 19:12:12 +0100

On 12/18/12 11:12 AM, Carl Sandom wrote:
> Andy,
>
> You're definitely not alone in your thinking.

I agree. No, Andy, you are most definitely not alone! Count me in too!

As Carl points out, there are issues with rare events.

Taleb's books are appropriate references, although I remember finding Black Swan quite repetetive. I prefer his earlier work, Fooled by Randomness, as far as I remember.

Another take on rare but possible events is Lee Clarke's Worst Cases (Chicago U.P., 2006). He suggests ways of dealing with rare possibilities with very high consequences, which seemed to be one of your main concerns.

PBL