Re: [SystemSafety] Root Cause Analysis

From: Steve Tockey < >
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 00:09:53 +0000

Peter,
Apologies for the delayed reply, I've been buried in other work for the past couple of weeks.

I'm not sure you included it, but I have gotten some mileage out of "Cause Maps" (see the book "Apollo Root Cause Analysis" 3rd Ed, by Dean L. Gano, Appollonian Publications, 2007). See also http://www.thinkreliability.com/searchindustry.aspx for some real-world examples of Cause Maps in action. Here's a short description of Cause Maps:

A Cause Map is a structured map of "cause --> effect" relationships that includes the identified problem that is chained forward into negative effects on organizational goals and chained backwards into driving causes. Unlike tools such as Ishikawa (or "fishbone") diagrams, Cause Maps demand clear evidence of the occurrence of the cause(s) and the causality of the effect(s)

I've also heard of, but not used "Bayesian Inference" (Statistical inference from evidence or observation is used to infer or update probability that some hypothesis may be true)

Cheers,