Re: [SystemSafety] Another runaway car

From: David Crocker < >
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 14:24:53 +0000

How does this requirement translate to cars that don't use a conventional key? On my BMW 3-series, the electronic key does not rotate, instead I insert it into a hole in the dashboard. I am fairly sure it is locked in place when the engine is running. I guess the start/stop button should turn the engine off, but I haven't tried pressing it while the car is moving.

David Crocker, Escher Technologies Ltd.
http://www.eschertech.com
Tel. +44 (0)20 8144 3265 or +44 (0)7977 211486

On 14/02/2013 14:11, Bernd Sieker wrote:

> In Germany there is a requirement that the engine must not be able to
> run unless the key is in the ignition and rotated to the "running"
> position, but I don't know if there is still a requirement that it be
> a direct mechanical/electromechanical (relay) link to an ignition
> (petrol) or injection (diesel) shutoff. If it's software-controlled
> ... who knows?

The System Safety Mailing List
systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Received on Thu Feb 14 2013 - 15:25:56 CET