[SystemSafety] Yet another supposedly-runaway car

From: Peter Bernard Ladkin < >
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2013 11:25:26 +0100

Here we are again.

 From today's Risks Forum Digest 27.18:

> Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 10:03:59 PST
> From: "Peter G. Neumann" <neumann_at_xxxxxx > Subject: Hyundai controller failure?
>
> ... allegedly causes high speed chase/crash:
>
> http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/22/hyundai-elantras-alleged-unintended-acceleration-sends-teen-po/#continued

It is hard for me to believe that these things continue happening and are unresolved. So what and where are the resolutions? They can't all be due to Toyota car mats getting stuck.

Are they due, perhaps, to people becoming "frozen" (a phenomenon well-known to flight instructors) and not being able to apply brakes or turn off engines?

And why is it happening now, and not (say) twenty years ago?

PBL