Re: [SystemSafety] Yet another supposedly-runaway car

From: Nancy Leveson < >
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 05:27:48 -0500

It did happen 20 years ago. Remember the Audi experience in the 90's?

This particular case is a little suspect although I don't doubt most of them.

Nancy

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 5:25 AM, Peter Bernard Ladkin < ladkin_at_xxxxxx

> Here we are again.
>
> From today's Risks Forum Digest 27.18:
>
> Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 10:03:59 PST
>> From: "Peter G. Neumann" <neumann_at_xxxxxx >> Subject: Hyundai controller failure?
>>
>> ... allegedly causes high speed chase/crash:
>>
>> http://www.autoblog.com/2013/**02/22/hyundai-elantras-**
>> alleged-unintended-**acceleration-sends-teen-po/#**continued<http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/22/hyundai-elantras-alleged-unintended-acceleration-sends-teen-po/#continued>
>>

> It is hard for me to believe that these things continue happening and are
> unresolved. So what and where are the resolutions? They can't all be due to
> Toyota car mats getting stuck.
>
> Are they due, perhaps, to people becoming "frozen" (a phenomenon
> well-known to flight instructors) and not being able to apply brakes or
> turn off engines?
>
> And why is it happening now, and not (say) twenty years ago?
>
> PBL
>
> --
> Prof. Peter Bernard Ladkin, Faculty of Technology, University of
> Bielefeld, 33594 Bielefeld, Germany
> Tel+msg +49 (0)521 880 7319 www.rvs.uni-bielefeld.de

Prof. Nancy Leveson
Aeronautics and Astronautics and Engineering Systems
MIT, Room 33-334
77 Massachusetts Ave.
Cambridge, MA 02142

Telephone: 617-258-0505