Re: [SystemSafety] "Serious risks" in EC 765/2008

From: E. Douglas Jensen < >
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 13:01:44 +0000

As a totally non-expert in safety, it seems to me that risks should be evaluated in the context of the consequences of the risk occurring. This is a problem I have with security as well. In the military context I work in, certain systems are explicitly engineered to allow appropriate levels of safety (or security) issues that enable the systems’ existence and acceptable functioning. I know of no perfectly safe and secure (for whatever definitions) weapons systems – many have quite high levels of risks (e.g., to human life) because acceptable performance with acceptable probabilities is regarded as far more important than the system not existing or not functioning at all due to inability to fully remediate safety and security issues. (Missile defense systems are just one example of accepting “Better sometimes than never.”) Perhaps these trade-offs are SOP in the safety community. (But I have experienced multiple instances of the “security uber alles” mindset which would render the system non-functional.)

Doug

E. Douglas Jensen

 <mailto:jensen_at_xxxxxx jensen_at_xxxxxx

 <http://www.real-time.org/> http://www.real-time.org, http://www.time-critical-technologies.com

Voice 508-653-5653, Fax 508-443-3137

Mobile phone voice: 508-728-0809

Mobile phone email: <mailto:5087280809_at_xxxxxx 5087280809_at_xxxxxx

IM: AOL edouglasjensen (with or without PGP); Skype: e.douglas.jensen

There is probably as much chance of finding a definition of "serious risk" in the IEC standards as there is in defining what a "significant change" is in the European Railway Authority, Common Safety Method!

Cheers

Peter

Peter Sheppard
Senior Safety Engineer and Validator

Mobile: +44 7920 247931

Please consider the environment before you print / Merci de penser à l'environnement avant d'imprimer / Bitte denken Sie an die Umwelt bevor Sie drucken

Bombardier Transportation UK Ltd
Registered Office: Litchurch Lane, Derby, DE24 8AD, England TEL +44 1332 344666, FAX +44 1332 266271 Registered in England
Registration No. 2235994

<Thierry.Coq_at_xxxxxx
Sent by: systemsafety-bounces_at_xxxxxx 08/04/2013 11:03

<systemsafety_at_xxxxxx

cc

Subject

[SystemSafety] "Serious risks" in EC 765/2008

Hi,

In EC 765/2008, what is considered a "serious risk"? Is there a reference?
How are the "serious risk" mitigations assessed, especially when "The feasibility of obtaining higher levels of safety or the availability of other products presenting a lesser degree of risk shall not constitute grounds for considering that a product presents a serious risk."? This standard also mandates that the product should be recalled when the serious risk has materialized... and there is wording here to update the risk assessment with field reports.
So is a "serious risk" in this standard in fact a materialized danger...?

Thanks for comments.
Best regards,
Thierry Coq
DNV -----Original Message-----