Re: [SystemSafety] Solar Storms and Charging Procedures for Electric Cars

From: Higham, Dave < >
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 14:59:32 +0000

There are some references to studies in this online presentation, that may be of use: http://www.ewh.ieee.org/r6/scv/rl/articles/Soft%20Error%20mitigation.pdf

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 11 April 2013 14:31
To: systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Subject: Re: [SystemSafety] Solar Storms and Charging Procedures for Electric Cars

On 4/11/13 3:13 PM, SPRIGGS, John J wrote:
>> At least some people in the avionics community have argued that SEUs
>> in commercial aircraft at cruise are likely mainly to be neutrons
>> (that was the suggestion that raised the scepticism of my particle-physicist colleagues).
>
> I think the argument is that charged particles can be stopped by a fairly thin piece of metal, e.g. the avionics box itself, but a free neutron can pass through. So, if you have "cosmic rays" in there, they "are likely mainly to be neutrons".

Yes, that is the argument of the armchair physicist.

I went through a series of publications by people then working for the Boeing Radiation Laboratory, in the usual "respected" scientific journals for this sort of thing. They referred to it being "established" or "well established", so I followed the reference trail. It led back to a short experiment in the neutron accelerator at Los Alamos. They put a DRAM half-in and half-out of the beam.

Two results.

  1. They found significantly more SEUs in the half-in part.
  2. Unfortunately, there was a heavy asymmetry about the flips. A significantly greater number were flipped from 1 to 0 than from 0 to 1 (or the other way round - I forget and am currently too lazy to look it up).

Only 1 supports the neutron hypothesis. 2 contradicts it. Conclusion: "it's neutrons!"

Figure it out. I took this to an experimental-physicist colleague and he said "yeah, seems about average. 80% of the stuff that's done is nonsense. The IEEE publishes it anyway."

For a moment I thought he was talking about software engineering..........

> Where are these free neutrons supposed to originate?

Good question. One of many. Another is "explain phenomenon 2".

systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Received on Thu Apr 11 2013 - 17:03:18 CEST