Re: [SystemSafety] Fwd: Re: New book

From: Peter Bernard Ladkin < >
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 16:13:29 +0200

On 4/15/13 3:22 PM, SPRIGGS, John J wrote:
> Self-publish next time?

Given my experience, I can't say I would recommend it. (Not that my book was technically self-published - the Impressum, namely legal responsibility for content, a requirement of German law, lies with my group RVS at the Uni Bielefeld.)

Colleagues and organisations do not recognise book-length content on merit. They want not only an ISBN but a recognised publisher. That is, for example, close to what the "rules" say concerning putting manuscripts in bibliographies on any grant applications in Germany (they add: a signed contract). (A young colleague preparing a grant application in 2011 for a consortium in which I was involved claimed he could find "nothing I had published" in 2007-2011. There was of course a subtext, but in many organisations there is some such subtext or other.)

As made clear by Nancy's and John's prices, it is possible to negotiate accessibility with some publishers.

systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Received on Mon Apr 15 2013 - 16:13:37 CEST