[SystemSafety] Shared-space intersections

From: Peter Bernard Ladkin < >
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 10:23:14 +0200

Traffic safety again.

I think good ideas are worth propagating. One is the shared-space approach to dense multi-participant traffic negotiations.

You take all the street signs down and traffic lights away, and eliminate priorities for traffic types. It started in the Netherlands, and there is a shared-space in the center of Bohmte, a town not far away from Bielefeld.

In short: it seems to work in some social settings. I would guess: a relatively dense space with complex traffic flows, fair numbers of each participant type (pedestrians, bicycles and other HPVs, and mixed motorised traffic from mopeds to heavy goods vehicles), and speeds that are in any case physically limited. And strong implicit or explicit social controls of aggression.

There was some talk of doing it with Exhibition Road in London Kensington, where the Science, Geology and Natural History Museums are, not far away from the Albert Hall. I don't know what became of that.

Apparently there is one at the Poynton Intersection in Greater Manchester. Here is The Guardian's short take in its In Praise Of series of editorials: http://gu.com/p/3fm7a

systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Received on Fri May 10 2013 - 10:23:23 CEST