Re: [SystemSafety] Ross Anderson on Consequences of Surveillance

From: Les Chambers < >
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 10:30:02 +1000

Thanks Peter
Good article. I suspect that average Joe versus big government is a battle that neither side will ever win (much like the battle of the sexes). Speaking as an average Joe I think we just need to make sure that we aren't crushed by the over regulated societies we live in. Surely encryption tools are the solution. Does anyone on the list have a favourite? In a related area my limited research has thrown up a problem you face if your private data is stored in an on-line database. Querying on encrypted keys complicates everything. The only solution seems to be doing everything by the numbers. For example medical records are probably safe in plain sight as long as their owner is just a number. I would be interested if anyone on the list has had experience with this.
Cheers
Les