Re: [SystemSafety] Qualifying SW as "proven in use" [Measuring Software]

From: Les Chambers < >
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 10:01:32 +1000

I am intrigued at how long this conversation has endured. It seems to ignore the elephant in the room: the massively complex, fragmented and error prone environment in which modern software products run. I'm not against calculating McCabe numbers. In fact getting all coders to run their code through a McCabe analyser prior to code review is a great idea. It encourages people to keep it simple. But the complexity of the application code is the tip of the iceberg when you are considering failure modes. As I have said before (taking a web app is a worst-case scenario), several environmental factors impact what a user actually encounters at the user interface:
- various language libraries downloaded from the web
- the language engine and its configuration
- the web page markup language and its configuration via cascading style
sheets
- the database server in its configuration
- the web server and its configuration
- various brands of browser with their random interpretation of the served
page

This is the real world that software lives in these days. I encourage the brains trust on this list to engage with the aggressive ugliness that is the real world and consider how we might deal with it. For example, the rise of complex configurable systems. Over the years it's become cool to avoid writing software by manipulating behaviour with configuration data. All this has done is move complexity into the configuration data and the tools that maintain that data. There is nothing more obscure than a bucket of configuration data. It is frighteningly easy to lose touch with what it means. The other disturbing thing is that the tools that manage this information are often held together with dental floss and bailing wire, together with the knowledge of one or two critical people. A friend of mine once held this position. One day he walked into the boss's office and said, "If I am to continue in this job two things are going to happen: 1) I will be the only person who will have write access to the configuration database; 2) I will receive a $10,000 a year raise." The boss' response: "Done! Carry on." It was a short meeting. A screw up in system configuration could bring a 26,000 point SCADA system, performing critical control tasks in a rail network, to its knees in a microsecond. The boss was an insightful dude.

Our ability to control anything rests on the accuracy of our mental model of its behaviour. Right now large systems projects in complex environments defy our feeble attempts at modelling. Hopefully this will not always be the case. Until that time there are brute force solutions. I once worked on an embedded system responsible for nuclear reactor shutdown. They wouldn't let us use an operating system.

Cheers
Les