Re: [SystemSafety] qualification (of people) (was: Re: RE : Qualifying SW as "proven in use"

From: RICQUE Bertrand (SAGEM DEFENSE SECURITE) < >
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 11:24:14 +0200

There are countries, like France, were "engineer" is not a controlled activity (as physician or lawyer of pharmacist or architect). Thus the concept of chartered doesn't exist and anybody can legally call himself "engineer".

However engineers coming out of top ranking schools exist and are competent but more expensive than "programmers". Roughly 50 % at least. WIth the consequence that the market has organised as follows:

* No top ranking will usually go to a "programming" activity (beside maybe working for Airbus or something like that) because it is not paid enough
* A top ranking engineer will usually, if hired in a small business, be immediately responsible for P&L and some "programmers", and not care about technical matters.
* Nobody will hire a top ranking engineer for programming activities when you can have a "programmer" for half or 2/3 of the cost.

Bertrand RICQUE
Program Manager, Optronics and Defense Division
T +33 (0)1 58 11 96 82
M +33 (0)6 87 47 84 64
23 avenue Carnot
91300 MASSY - FRANCE