Re: [SystemSafety] Qualifying SW as "proven in use" [Measuring Software]

From: Steve Tockey < >
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 17:16:21 +0000

Martyn,
My preference would be that things like low cyclomatic complexity be considered basic standards of professional practice, well before one even started talking about a safety case. Software with ridiculous complexities shouldn't even be allowed to start making a safety case in the first place.

From: Martyn Thomas <martyn_at_xxxxxx Date: Monday, July 1, 2013 10:04 AM
Subject: Re: [SystemSafety] Qualifying SW as "proven in use" [Measuring Software]

Steve

It would indeed be hard to make a strong safety case for a system whose software was "full of defects".

High cyclomatic complexity may make this more likely and if a regulator wanted to insist on low complexity as a certification criterion I doubt that few would complain. Simple is good - it reduces costs, in my experience.

But if a regulator allowed low complexity as a evidence for an acceptably low defect density, as part of a safety case, then I'd have strong reservations. Let me put it this way: if there's serious money to be made by developing a tool that inputs arbitrary software and outputs software with low cyclomatic complexity, there won't be a shortage of candidate tools - but safety won't improve. And if you have a way to prove, reliably, that the output from such a tool is functionally equivalent to the input, then that's a major breakthrough and I'd like to discuss it further.

Martyn