Re: [SystemSafety] Qualifying SW as "proven in use" [Measuring Software]

From: Martyn Thomas < >
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2013 18:21:25 +0100

I agree. And I'd like to see COTS software supplied with a statement of complexity, against some standardised metric.

But it's a huge change you are asking for: most systems that use any COTS would be ruled out of safety-related applications.

We can't become an engineering profession in one step - but I'd like us to be clearly starting the journey.

Martyn

On 01/07/2013 18:16, Steve Tockey wrote:

> Martyn,
> My preference would be that things like low cyclomatic complexity be
> considered basic standards of professional practice, well before one
> even started talking about a safety case. Software with ridiculous
> complexities shouldn't even be allowed to start making a safety case
> in the first place.
>

> -- steve

The System Safety Mailing List
systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Received on Mon Jul 01 2013 - 19:21:36 CEST