Re: [SystemSafety] Research topics

From: Nancy Leveson < >
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 07:03:05 -0700

I have two graduate students who are working on the application of STAMP to security. One is an Air Force Colonel, Bill Young, who is applying it to cyber security. He has prototyped an experimental evaluation with a real Air Force red team on a real mission. It worked very well. He is now planning a full scale experimental evaluation with a real project and real red teams (one team will use his technique and the other will use their standard approaches) for the fall. Results should be available by the next STAMP workshop in the spring.

A second student is Adam Williams, a Ph.D. student who works for Sandia National Lab. He is looking at the application of STAMP to nuclear security and the vulnerability to terrorism (as Andy recommended below). He is not as far along as Bill but is making progress.

Just to encourage others, it's going very well and appears to be a useful way forward in security.

Nancy

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 6:54 AM, René Senden <rene.senden_at_xxxxxx

> Contribution from Andy Loebl...****
>
> ** **
>
> *From:* Loebl, Andy [mailto:loeblas_at_xxxxxx > *Sent:* maandag 15 juli 2013 14:40
> *To:* René Senden
> *Subject:* RE: [SystemSafety] Research topics****
>
> ** **
>
> 1—Waste, Fraud and Abuse in U.S. Public Healthcare claims data.****
>
> 2—Physics based Electricity Grid modeling in the U.S. for understanding
> demand-side system faults causing outages.****
>
> 3—extending STAMP to understand U.S. security systems vulnerabilities to
> terrorism****
>
> ** **

Prof. Nancy Leveson
Aeronautics and Astronautics and Engineering Systems
MIT, Room 33-334
77 Massachusetts Ave.
Cambridge, MA 02142

Telephone: 617-258-0505