Re: [SystemSafety] Spanish train crash

From: Chris Dale < >
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 16:38:31 +0100

Thank you, Peter.

Surely the lesson of the Morpeth derailments is that speed limits on tight curves need to be enforced technologically, not merely procedurally by the imposition of speed limits.

According to Prof. Roger Kemp of Lancaster University, quoted by MSN, the accident in Spain occurred on a section of ‘half completed’ track that was still being brought up to date with the safety standards of the European Rail Traffic Management System, which would have prevented the train from exceeding the speed on the section of track. http://news.uk.msn.com/world/why-spains-horror-train-crash-cant-happen-in-th e-uk569032

If this is true, the driver should not be the only one under investigation.

Chris Dale

(also speaking for himself only)

From: systemsafety-bounces_at_xxxxxx [mailto:systemsafety-bounces_at_xxxxxx peter.sheppard_at_xxxxxx Sent: 29 July 2013 13:35
To: systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Subject: Re: [SystemSafety] Spanish train crash

I have just one comment - "Morpeth" 1969, 1984, 1994!

Cheers

Peter
(Speaking on behalf of himself only)

Peter Sheppard
Senior Safety Engineer and Validator

Mobile: +44 7920 247931

Please consider the environment before you print / Merci de penser à l'environnement avant d'imprimer / Bitte denken Sie an die Umwelt bevor Sie drucken

Bombardier Transportation UK Ltd
Registered Office: Litchurch Lane, Derby, DE24 8AD, England TEL +44 1332 344666, FAX +44 1332 266271 Registered in England
Registration No. 2235994

"Chris Dale" <chris.dale_at_xxxxxx Sent by: systemsafety-bounces_at_xxxxxx 29/07/2013 12:41

<systemsafety_at_xxxxxx

cc

Subject

PBL wrote:

> 11. I read in the Observer (Sunday paper of the Guardian group) that the
driver
> has been arrested, arraigned in handcuffs before a judge, and charged with
> multiple manslaughter.
>
> That is, of course, an excellent way to ensure that investigators (of any
kind)
> obtain minimal useful information about any human factors at play in this
> accident. Indeed, the article reports that he has received legal advice
not to
> make a statement to police.

Hear, hear!

If some technological failure caused the accident, we need to know.

If some technology misled, confused or distracted the driver at a critical moment, we need to know.

If some technology that should have intervened was absent, switched off, or otherwise ineffective, we need to know.

The (seemingly) media-led frenzy to find someone to blame is an obstacle to the prevention of future accidents. Even if the technology is not at fault, we should still be asking what would lead an experienced, well-qualified driver to act (or not act) in the way he did. Then we have a chance of improving things. We won't if the 'blame game' takes priority.

Chris Dale
Safety-Critical Systems Club Meetings Co-ordinator

chris.dale_at_xxxxxx
Tel: +44 (0)1326 565758
Mobile: +44 (0)7904 056507
www.scsc.org.uk

Director
Dale Research Ltd
2 Reppersfield Row, Breage, Helston TR13 9PG Registered in England and Wales no: 4937941

This e-mail communication (and any attachment/s) may contain confidential or privileged information and is intended only for the individual(s) or entity named above and to others who have been specifically authorized to receive it. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose the contents of this communication to others. Please notify the sender that you have received this e-mail in error by reply e-mail, and delete the e-mail subsequently. Please note that in order to protect the security of our information systems an AntiSPAM solution is in use and will browse through incoming emails.
Thank you.

Ce message (ainsi que le(s) fichier(s)), transmis par courriel, peut contenir des renseignements confidentiels ou protégés et est destiné à l’usage exclusif du destinataire ci-dessus. Toute autre personne est, par les présentes, avisée qu’il est strictement interdit de le diffuser, le distribuer ou le reproduire. Si vous l’avez reçu par inadvertance, veuillez nous en aviser et détruire ce message. Veuillez prendre note qu'une solution antipollupostage (AntiSPAM) est utilisée afin d'assurer la sécurité de nos systèmes d'information et qu'elle furètera les courriels entrants. Merci.

The System Safety Mailing List
systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Received on Mon Jul 29 2013 - 17:40:05 CEST