Re: [SystemSafety] Spanish train crash

From: Matthew Squair < >
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2013 10:12:11 +1000


All,

A Galician friend sent me this link. According to this source ADIF (the spanish administrator of state railways) has now installed additional ASFA beacons (balise) to the section of track at which the accident occurred.

http://www.publico.es/461112/fomento-asume-que-tres-balizas-habrian-evitado-el-accidente-del-alvia

The International Railway Journal also reports that the transition from high speed to conventional line where the accident occurred was only intended as a temporary link until the high speed line was extended towards A Coruna, although that extension has been deferred.

Finally the driver's testimony indicates that immediately prior to the accident he was on the phone with the on-board ticket inspector (who had rung him) and they were discussing which station platform to stop at, testimony by the ticket inspector supports the drivers statements. Crew cab background noise retrieved from the recorder indicates the driver may also have been consulting a document of some kind.

Regards,

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 1:57 AM, <peter.sheppard_at_xxxxxx
> wrote:

>
> Chris,
>
> That was the point I was making, even following the application of
> "technology" to Morpeth Curve (albeit a fairly crude AWS warning), there
> were still derailments.
>
> At Southall AWS and ATP were both fitted, but turned off at the time of
> the accident.
>
> At Ladbroke Grove, the train that passed the red signal had not been
> fitted with ATP, but the HST approaching had (albeit having passed any
> measures that may have applied the brakes).
>
> At Wembley there was a accident with a suburban unit running into the rear
> of a freightliner train as a result of repetitive cancelling on the AWS
> (AWS only discriminates between green and "not green")
>
> Regardless of technology, it is the human and degraded modes that must be
> considered in all system designs.
>
> Cheers
>
> Peter
> (Speaking for himself)
>
> Peter Sheppard
> Senior Safety Engineer and Validator
>
> Mobile: +44 7920 247931
>
>
> Please consider the environment before you print / Merci de penser à
> l'environnement avant d'imprimer / Bitte denken Sie an die Umwelt bevor Sie
> drucken
>
> Bombardier Transportation UK Ltd
> Registered Office: Litchurch Lane, Derby, DE24 8AD, England
> TEL +44 1332 344666, FAX +44 1332 266271
> Registered in England
> Registration No. 2235994
>
>
>
>
>
> *"Chris Dale" <chris.dale_at_xxxxxx > Sent by: systemsafety-bounces_at_xxxxxx > 29/07/2013 16:38
> To
> <systemsafety_at_xxxxxx > cc
> Subject
> Re: [SystemSafety] Spanish train crash
>
>
>
>
>
> Thank you, Peter.
>
> Surely the lesson of the Morpeth derailments is that speed limits on tight
> curves need to be enforced technologically, not merely procedurally by the
> imposition of speed limits.
>
> According to Prof. Roger Kemp of Lancaster University, quoted by MSN, the
> accident in Spain occurred on a section of ‘half completed’ track that was
> still being brought up to date with the safety standards of the European
> Rail Traffic Management System, which would have prevented the train from
> exceeding the speed on the section of track. *
> http://news.uk.msn.com/world/why-spains-horror-train-crash-cant-happen-in-the-uk569032
> *<http://news.uk.msn.com/world/why-spains-horror-train-crash-cant-happen-in-the-uk569032>
>
> If this is true, the driver should not be the only one under investigation.
>
> Chris Dale
> (also speaking for himself only)
>
> *From:* systemsafety-bounces_at_xxxxxx > systemsafety-bounces_at_xxxxxx > peter.sheppard_at_xxxxxx > Sent:* 29 July 2013 13:35*
> To:* systemsafety_at_xxxxxx > Subject:* Re: [SystemSafety] Spanish train crash
>
>
> I have just one comment - "Morpeth" 1969, 1984, 1994!
>
> Cheers
>
> Peter
> (Speaking on behalf of himself only)
>
> Peter Sheppard
> Senior Safety Engineer and Validator
>
> Mobile: +44 7920 247931
>
>
> Please consider the environment before you print / Merci de penser à
> l'environnement avant d'imprimer / Bitte denken Sie an die Umwelt bevor Sie
> drucken
>
> Bombardier Transportation UK Ltd
> Registered Office: Litchurch Lane, Derby, DE24 8AD, England
> TEL +44 1332 344666, FAX +44 1332 266271
> Registered in England
> Registration No. 2235994
>
>
>
> *
> "Chris Dale" <**chris.dale_at_xxxxxx > Sent by: *systemsafety-bounces_at_xxxxxx > 29/07/2013 12:41
> To
> <*systemsafety_at_xxxxxx > >
> cc
> Subject
> Re: [SystemSafety] Spanish train crash
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> PBL wrote:
>
> > 11. I read in the Observer (Sunday paper of the Guardian group) that the
> driver
> > has been arrested, arraigned in handcuffs before a judge, and charged
> with
> > multiple manslaughter.
> >
> > That is, of course, an excellent way to ensure that investigators (of any
> kind)
> > obtain minimal useful information about any human factors at play in this
> > accident. Indeed, the article reports that he has received legal advice
> not to
> > make a statement to police.
>
> Hear, hear!
>
> If some technological failure caused the accident, we need to know.
>
> If some technology misled, confused or distracted the driver at a critical
> moment, we need to know.
>
> If some technology that should have intervened was absent, switched off, or
> otherwise ineffective, we need to know.
>
> The (seemingly) media-led frenzy to find someone to blame is an obstacle to
> the prevention of future accidents. Even if the technology is not at fault,
> we should still be asking what would lead an experienced, well-qualified
> driver to act (or not act) in the way he did. Then we have a chance of
> improving things. We won't if the 'blame game' takes priority.
>
> Chris Dale
> Safety-Critical Systems Club Meetings Co-ordinator
> *
> **chris.dale_at_xxxxxx > Tel: +44 (0)1326 565758
> Mobile: +44 (0)7904 056507*
> **www.scsc.org.uk* <http://www.scsc.org.uk/>
>
> Director
> Dale Research Ltd
> 2 Reppersfield Row, Breage, Helston TR13 9PG
> Registered in England and Wales no: 4937941
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> The System Safety Mailing List*
> **systemsafety_at_xxxxxx >
>
>
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
>
> This e-mail communication (and any attachment/s) may contain confidential
> or privileged information and is intended only for the individual(s) or
> entity named above and to others who have been specifically authorized to
> receive it. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read,
> copy, use or disclose the contents of this communication to others. Please
> notify the sender that you have received this e-mail in error by reply
> e-mail, and delete the e-mail subsequently. Please note that in order to
> protect the security of our information systems an AntiSPAM solution is in
> use and will browse through incoming emails.
> Thank you.
> _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
>
>
> Ce message (ainsi que le(s) fichier(s)), transmis par courriel, peut
> contenir des renseignements confidentiels ou protégés et est destiné à
> l’usage exclusif du destinataire ci-dessus. Toute autre personne est, par
> les présentes, avisée qu’il est strictement interdit de le diffuser, le
> distribuer ou le reproduire. Si vous l’avez reçu par inadvertance, veuillez
> nous en aviser et détruire ce message. Veuillez prendre note qu'une
> solution antipollupostage (AntiSPAM) est utilisée afin d'assurer la
> sécurité de nos systèmes d'information et qu'elle furètera les courriels
> entrants.
> Merci.
> _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
> _______________________________________________
> The System Safety Mailing List
> systemsafety_at_xxxxxx >
>
>
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
>
> This e-mail communication (and any attachment/s) may contain confidential
> or privileged information and is intended only for the individual(s) or
> entity named above and to others who have been specifically authorized to
> receive it. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read,
> copy, use or disclose the contents of this communication to others. Please
> notify the sender that you have received this e-mail in error by reply
> e-mail, and delete the e-mail subsequently. Please note that in order to
> protect the security of our information systems an AntiSPAM solution is in
> use and will browse through incoming emails.
> Thank you.
> _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
>
>
> Ce message (ainsi que le(s) fichier(s)), transmis par courriel, peut
> contenir des renseignements confidentiels ou protégés et est destiné à
> l’usage exclusif du destinataire ci-dessus. Toute autre personne est, par
> les présentes, avisée qu’il est strictement interdit de le diffuser, le
> distribuer ou le reproduire. Si vous l’avez reçu par inadvertance, veuillez
> nous en aviser et détruire ce message. Veuillez prendre note qu'une
> solution antipollupostage (AntiSPAM) est utilisée afin d'assurer la
> sécurité de nos systèmes d'information et qu'elle furètera les courriels
> entrants.
> Merci.
> _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> The System Safety Mailing List
> systemsafety_at_xxxxxx >
>

-- 
*Matthew Squair*
*
*
Mob: +61 488770655
Email: MattSquair_at_xxxxxx



_______________________________________________ The System Safety Mailing List systemsafety_at_xxxxxx
Received on Tue Aug 06 2013 - 02:12:22 CEST

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.0 : Tue Jun 04 2019 - 21:17:05 CEST