Re: [SystemSafety] SIL ratings to be scrapped?

From: RICQUE Bertrand (SAGEM DEFENSE SECURITE) < >
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 09:44:31 +0200

This is pretty true and I would even derivate another scenario.

You are the US Army, you have your own local plugs different from others and you don't care because you are number one customer and thus have plenty of suppliers adapting their equipment to these plugs at their own cost. You decide that your purchase deparment must be externalised and give them plenty of requirements such as: be careful to write state of the art specifications, etc... The purchase department that doesn't care and know anything about plugs looks for the plug standards and find that there is an international standard and just list it in the requirements !

This is exactly what happened with Boieng and IEC 61508 for landing gears of the 787...

Bertrand RICQUE
Program Manager, Optronics and Defense Division
T +33 (0)1 58 11 96 82
M +33 (0)6 87 47 84 64
23 avenue Carnot
91300 MASSY - FRANCE