Re: [SystemSafety] Critical Design Checklist

From: Sean M. Beatty < >
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 17:12:25 -0400

Kevin,

Here is a list of a dozen potential problems in real-time embedded systems software, many of which aren't caught by traditional testing methods. Perhaps this will be useful to you, even though it's a very specific domain. Of course, these problems are only safety-critical if they could result in triggering a hazard ..

  1. Mathematical operations, especially fixed point (scaled integers)
  2. How are expected errors handled?
  3. Does the Risk Analysis or FMEA identify other potential errors, which aren't handled?
  4. Hardware Interfaces

. Initialization

. Noise on sensor (and other) inputs

. Power up and power down behavior

. Power usage (sleep) modes

. Watchdog timer

. ADC and DAC turn-on delays

. EEPROM interface

5. Resource Usage (RAM, ROM, and EEPROM must also be adequately sized)

. Adequate stack for worst case

. Intermediate data

. Data shared between Interrupt Service Routines and application

. Data shared between tasks of different priorities

6. Any possibility of deadlock

7. Schedulability of all tasks

8. Maximum task response times

9. Other task timing constraints (jitter, end-to-end requirements)

  1. Non-deterministic structures
  2. Task precedence constraints
  3. Uncontrolled priority inversion

Hope this helps!

Sean

Sean M. Beatty

Principal

High Impact Services, Inc. 317-774-9895

23 S. 8th Street, Suite 100 Fax: 317-219-0437

Noblesville, IN 46060 www.highimpactservices.com