Re: [SystemSafety] Agile methods

From: Jon Davies < >
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2013 12:18:15 +0100

On 30 August 2013 18:02, René Senden <rene.senden_at_xxxxxx
> Dear all,
>
> Do any of you have practical experience with reconciling established agile
> software development with software safety requirements (e.g. IEC-61508 or
> DO-178..) ?

Yes, and we usually end up throwing away the software developed using "agile" methods, and starting again properly.

I'm taking "agile software development" as meaning the development of software using processes consistent with the agile manifesto: http://agilemanifesto.org/ - to quote the relevant part: "...we value... working software over comprehensive documentation"

this is fundamentally in conflict with many of the things we know about building high integrity software, and so "agile" methods are fundamentally in conflict with developing software for safety critical systems.

There's plenty to learn from agile development methods that might be useful in high integrity software development, but that's a whole different discussion. Every time we discuss agile development here, we end up back at the need to use a development process that builds in correctness - we can't test exhaustively, so we need a process that builds integrity in. Agile methods don't do this.

Jon

The System Safety Mailing List
systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Received on Tue Sep 03 2013 - 09:34:31 CEST