[SystemSafety] Using a virtual machine to develop safe code / logic

From: Daniel Grivicic < >
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 07:39:00 +1000

Hello List members,

Is there any information or evidence supporting the statement that "safety related logic shall not be developed using a virtualised environment".

My specific problem is that I have an older process safety control system that is not supported on a recent operating system. Specifically the programming and monitoring program (for the control system) will only install on Windows 2000. Windows 2000 will not install on a new computer (driver problems) so a solution is to use a virtual machine.

The company that supplies the programming software does not support the installation or use on a virtual machine. The solution being a processor and operating environment upgrade.

Is there a difference between using a physical computer compared to using a virtual / software based one?

Your input into this is appreciated.

Thank you.

Daniel Grivicic.

The System Safety Mailing List
systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Received on Tue Sep 03 2013 - 09:34:31 CEST