Re: [SystemSafety] Agile methods

From: M Mencke < >
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2013 14:38:47 +0200

René,

I have come across a situation in the railway field where an organization was required by the customer to comply with a safety standard which has specific requirements on the software development process, in this case, EN 50128, where this was previously not required.

It seems to me that this type of situation typically arises in industries/products where the SIL concept has traditionally not been applied, or is being introduced. The customer creates a “SIL requirement” as a type of marketing argument, where the SIL is understood by the customer as applying to equipment rather than to a function (in order to be able to state “This equipment is SIL X” in commercial scenarios).

Regarding your question, “Have you encountered a situation, in industrial practice, in which an organization developing software following an agile methodology has to comply with a safety standard which has specific requirements on the software development process?”

This is a polar question, which can only be answered with a yes/no.

If you are interested in practical experience, it might be useful to add to this question which aspect(s) of such a situation you are interested in. For example, if the answer is “yes”, was the project actually a success? Which measures/procedures were implemented in the company to approach this problem and reconcile the development process with such requirements?, etc. Depending on the type of information you are seeking, it may not be possible to provide particular details regarding such a state of affairs, as this information may be company-specific. Regards,
Myriam.

2013/9/2 Jon Davies <jdavies_at_xxxxxx