Re: [SystemSafety] Agile methods

From: Martyn Thomas < >
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 18:37:01 +0100

I agree with Nancy.

At the workshop for the NAS/CSTB study into Certifiably Dependable Software, the inventor of Extreme Programming, Kent Beck, said that he wouldn't suggest using XP for safety-critical work because it's use didn't create adequate evidence to support a safety argument. Theworkshop report (which may contain this comment, though I haven't checked) and the final report are both downloadable free, here (requires free registration):
http://sites.nationalacademies.org/cstb/CompletedProjects/CSTB_042247

Regards

Martyn

On 30/08/2013 18:14, Nancy Leveson wrote:
> Definitions always differ among the users of terms. But if the Agile
> methods being considered do not start with a complete and thorough
> specification of all the system/software safety requirements before
> anything else, then the system resulting system/software design will
> almost surely be less safe than one that does. Whether it coincides
> with other standards (most of which are very deficient with respect to
> safety) is not really important, is it?
>
> Nancy

The System Safety Mailing List
systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Received on Tue Sep 03 2013 - 09:34:30 CEST