Re: [SystemSafety] Understanding Air France 447

From: Dewi Daniels < >
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 09:02:30 +0100

The September 2013 AAIB bulletin contains a report on two unreliable air speed events on British Airways A321s.

http://www.aaib.gov.uk/publications/bulletins/september_2013/airbus_a321_231 __g_euxm.cfm

Some sentences that struck me in the report:

"The pilots commenced the procedure for 'Unreliable Speed Indication' and
turned off the Flight Directors." (The AF 447 crew failed to perform either of these actions).

"The pilots commented that company training in unreliable airspeed
indications had made the incident straightforward"

"The operator had identified several possible events as having a high
priority for training within its Advanced Training and Qualification Package (ATQP), based on a Task Analysis and Training Needs Analysis of its Airbus operation. Unreliable airspeed was among them, and was included in one of the Line Orientated Evaluation (LOE) scenarios conducted in 2009-10." (Given the timing, this training need was presumably identified in direct response to AF 447).

Yours,

Dewi Daniels | Managing Director | Verocel Limited

Direct Dial +44 1225 718912 | Mobile +44 7968 837742 | Email <mailto:ddaniels_at_xxxxxx

Verocel Limited is a company registered in England and Wales. Company number: 7407595. Registered office: Grangeside Business Support Centre, 129 Devizes Road, Hilperton, Trowbridge, United Kingdom BA14 7SZ

I've just finished reading a new Kindle book titled "Understanding Air France 447" by Bill Palmer. The author is an A330 training captain at Delta Air Lines. It's a well-balanced account, and I found his explanation of the avionic systems on the A330 to be very illuminating. As a training captain, his conclusions focus on the need for improved pilot training. I recommend this book to anyone interested in the topic.

Yours,

Dewi Daniels | Managing Director | Verocel Limited

Direct Dial +44 1225 718912 | Mobile +44 7968 837742 | Email <mailto:ddaniels_at_xxxxxx

Verocel Limited is a company registered in England and Wales. Company number: 7407595. Registered office: Grangeside Business Support Centre, 129 Devizes Road, Hilperton, Trowbridge, United Kingdom BA14 7SZ

The System Safety Mailing List
systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Received on Thu Sep 12 2013 - 10:03:02 CEST