Re: [SystemSafety] HROs and NAT (was USAF Nuclear Accidents prior to 1967)

From: Matthew Squair < >
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 08:10:54 +1000

Slightly tangentially there's actually a theoretical underpinning for Perrow's NAT provided by the theory of Highly Optimised Tolerance. HOT was developed to explain the 'robust yet fragile' nature of complex systems designed to operate in uncertain environments (and are highly coupled with that environment).

Given you're trying to optimise performance under global resource constraints (like cost) while trading off against risk you end up with systems that are 'safe most of the time' but every so often a catastrophic event will occur due to an unanticipated combination of failures or environmental factors, robustness and fragility are inherently intertwined in such systems. The proponents also predict that you'll see power law failure distributions in HOT systems as a result.

I like HOT as a theory because it makes testable empirical predictions (power law behaviour) and you can also develop system simulations from the math and compare these to the real world.

Of course it also means that high consequence accidents will inevitably occur much more often than we'd like to think, and usually for unanticipated reasons, which brings us back to Perrow's original thesis.

--
*Matthew Squair*
MIEAust CPEng

Mob: +61 488770655