Re: [SystemSafety] The bomb again

From: Matthew Squair < >
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2013 23:43:27 +1000

John,

The current US requirement for nuclear weapons safety during a crash is a probabilty of one in a million of a premature nuclear detonation. I guess that doesn't really qualify as 'practically nonexistent'.

That being said, the nuclear weapons safety community has spent an awful lot of time and money thinking about safety in the wake of such accidents as Goldsboro, see their 3I principles for example, and I believe there are broader architectural lessons that can be learned and transferred to other domains.

See the references in my post for further details.

http://criticaluncertainties.com/2010/03/21/lessons-from-nuclear-weapons-safety/

Regards,

--
*Matthew Squair*