[SystemSafety] nuclear energy - disparate policies?

From: René Senden < >
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 19:44:50 +0200

Dear all,

Today I learned from BBC World News that the UK will be developing another nuclear facility for the purpose of generating energy. It was also said that UK’s PM indicated that (and I paraphrase).. “it will be one of hopefully many to come”.
Although this hardly needs to be said on this list, please correct me if/where (deemed) necessary. I pretty much typed this posting within 2 minutes after hearing the news…

There have been quite different, at times even opposite, political
(re)considerations w.r.t. nuclear energy in the aftermath of the tragic
accident in Japan, which happened not so long ago. A very pronounced difference in policy is, of course, Germany vs.. well.. most other countries…

Is it strictly a matter of (inter)national politics or do the different national policies also reflect different opinions of the corresponding
(relevant) experts and scientists serving those countries (whose expert
judgement I assume to influence the policies set out by the politicians they advise) ?

I am very interested in your thoughts on this.

Rene

The System Safety Mailing List
systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Received on Mon Oct 21 2013 - 19:44:55 CEST