Re: [SystemSafety] Hazard and Qualitative-Risk Analysis of Mode 3 Charging of Electric Road Vehicles

From: Peter Bernard Ladkin < >
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 11:42:43 +0200

On 10/21/13 5:39 PM, Rolf Spiker wrote:
> Butů..
>
> Charging batteries is an old and still existing event.......
> Now we have electric cars with batteries........
>
> We have already electric driven forklift trucks and charging equipment for a long time......
> What is the difference with that car battery and charging equipment that we have to make these
> studies now?

There are many differences. First, as Andrew points out, the capacities of the batteries are larger. Second, these large capacity batteries are not being charged overnight in some industrial building which is unoccupied overnight and probably well away from dwellings, but in people's houses where they sleep. Third, I have some very thought-provoking pictures from Roger Kemp of burn-out electric vehicles from Britain, I take it from the '50's and 60's when milk rounds and baker's rounds were often made with electric vehicles. Fourth, a fork-lift truck charging overnight recently caused a fire in a mentally-challenged people's home in Southern Germany. Half a million euros damage and luckily no one was injured. Such things are going to happen a lot more when these vehicles are pervasive. How much more? We don't know.

> Is there anything news under the sun?

Yes. For example, a million electric cars on Germany's roads. That's what the Chancellor has said will be in 2020. That's a million electric cars recharging overnight, largely on residential-building circuits. Never been seen before.

Just wait 'til the car manufacturers' lobby insists that you can power your house for two days from your car, when there is a power failure. Mitsubishi has said it, and shown it, already. But the electric grid is neither designed nor set up for external power sources, especially from uncontrolled medium-capacity storage devices.

systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Received on Tue Oct 22 2013 - 11:42:54 CEST