[SystemSafety] Automobile regulations

From: Shreve, Erik < >
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 21:31:22 +0000

Vehicles are outside my professional domain. However, given recent news, I'm curious if any work is being done on regulating software that provides essential performance in automobiles.

Expert testimony at a recent trial provided quite a list of issues with the ECU firmware in an unattended acceleration case... http://www.edn.com/design/automotive/4423428/Toyota-s-killer-firmware--Bad-design-and-its-consequences

Developers claiming autonomous cars are already safer... http://www.technologyreview.com/news/520746/data-shows-googles-robot-cars-are-smoother-safer-drivers-than-you-or-i/

Erik Shreve
Principal Software Engineer
Product Development - Software
CSDP St. Jude Medical
Implantable Electronic Systems
6901 Preston Road
Plano, TX 75024 USA
Direct +1 972-309-8534
Main +1 972 309 8000 x8534
eshreve_at_xxxxxx sjm.com<http://www.sjm.com/>

The views and opinions expressed in this email are my own alone and do not represent the views of my employer.

This communication, including any attachments, may contain information that is proprietary, privileged, confidential or legally exempt from disclosure. If you are not a named addressee, you are hereby notified that you are not authorized to read, print, retain a copy of or disseminate any portion of this communication without the consent of the sender and that doing so may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender via return e-mail and delete it from your system.

The System Safety Mailing List
systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Received on Tue Oct 29 2013 - 22:31:35 CET