Re: [SystemSafety] Automobile regulations

From: Mike Ellims < >
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 23:18:57 -0000

jean-louis Boulanger Wrote:

> Actually the automotive domain don't want to discuss of certification or
external assessment.

Actually this isn't correct.

For vehicles type certified under UNECE R13-H which covers light vehicles some external assessment is required for brake systems, including ABS and ESP. For example in the UK VOSA for be the certifying authority and in Germany one of the TUV organizations.

Technical documentation supplied would more or less have to conform to ISO 26262, the structure of which is pulled more or less straight from one of the regulations annexes. That is, 26262 is structured to meet the regulation.

The same applies to a couple of other vehicle subsystems but currently I believe not engine control units.

As I understand it (last time I looked) the intent was to break out the annex (which exists in at least two regulations) as a separate regulation for all complex control systems.

In America the situation is different in that manufactures self certify, for brake systems essentially to the same set of requirements (hence the H in 13-H for harmonized).

Cheers.