Re: [SystemSafety] Automobile Safety-Critical Kit (Bookout v. Toyota Motor transcript)

From: Peter Bernard Ladkin < >
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2013 12:51:31 +0100

Following this up a little more, there is also an interesting earlier article in EETimes at http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1319903

It might be useful to have someone summarise what the Barr Group report identified in its code inspection. I don't know whether it is just me, but I haven't managed to get a clear idea yet.

I just looked at the transcript pp70-85. I'll refer to "Barr" to mean any of the experts working with the Barr Group. Barr himself gave the testimony in this transcript.

So it looks as if Task X performs not only command functions for the throttle and calls cruise control code, but it is also responsible for what IEC 61508 calls safety functions. Apparently it is also responsible for the "brake override" safety function in later models of the car.

That Task X can be terminated, or unable to progress, is obviously problematic. That there is no HW EDAC is also very surprising in something with critical function brought to the market in 2005. That Task X includes a safety function in 2010 should preclude that it can be terminated or unable to progress in its 2010 version.

On 10/31/13 9:38 PM, Heath Raftery wrote:
> On the other hand, I remain unconvinced the software had anything to do with the crash. The driver
> was 76 years old at the time. This crash was subject to an NTSB investigation, and investigators
> found no evidence that it was a software fault or a hardware fault. The crash recorder says the
> driver pushed the accelerator and was not pushing the brakes, and then the car was hit. Even Mr
> Barr's demonstration of a potential fault scenario (inject a bit flip, task dies, cruise control is
> resumed while the brake is lightly applied - acceleration continues past setpoint), while clearly a
> bug that should be fixed, is very hard to imagine as relevant to the crash.

The comment on the Beasley Allen WWW site makes much of the skid marks.

Can you cite the document which says that the crash recorder records accelerator-pedal depression and no brak-pedal depression?

> I believe Mr Barr rightly convinced the court that the software development project lacked quality,
> and then, by virtue of some terrible cross-examination, he leads the jury to assume that the
> software bugs could have caused the accident.

What could the cross-examiner have done? Barr has apparently established defects in the code, and the only counter would be that *those* defects were not active during the accident in question. As Barr says, you would be trying to establish a negative, which can't be done very well on the limited product testing in the automotive domain, as we have discussed regularly on the York list. Operational use vastly exceeds the time available for targeted manufacturer testing, or any other kind.

Barr used fault-injection techniques, which is an obvious choice if the kit isn't using EDAC, and he found faults which allow UA. Ipso facto, they exist. How on earth are you going to establish that they didn't manifest in the specific accident under review? I imagine the manufacturer was well aware of what was going on, and had no suitable way of responding.

Is there indeed any suitable response?

I think that shows the significance of this case. BTW, it is established case law - it won't go to appeal. The manufacturer has settled with the plaintiffs.

It turns out one of the expert witnesses is a colleague at CMU. He can't talk about the case.

It is also notable that the only part of the transcript (yet) available is the examination and cross-examination of Michael Barr. I wonder how that got out there? It does show the power of selective release. None of the Toyota expert evidence is available; neither is any of the evidence of expert witnesses other than that of Mr. Barr.

> In the end I think people will have to start to expect software to cost more - we need these
> laborious (and rather dull, frankly) safety practices for two reasons:

I agree with Martyn that effective software-quality enhancement practices need not cost more. I think what might cost more, initially, is the kit to support it. If you want EDAC in your HW, this costs more per delivered vehicle. If you want to use software development practices that exclude Dependability1 errors, amongst other things you'll likely need a compiler for a strongly-typed language which targets the chipset you're working with. On current practice, such compilers may or may not exist.

Indeed, people reading this transcript may well decide that putting safety functions into an "kitchen-sink" monitor task whose progress can be halted during fault-injection testing is an industry habit that must be discontinued forthwith, given that it has been so deprecated in a court.

systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Received on Sun Nov 03 2013 - 12:51:44 CET