[SystemSafety] Podcasting interviews

From: Andrew Rae < >
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 18:49:15 +0000

Hi folks,
This is a mixed plug/request/opportunity.

DisasterCast has been chugging along reasonably, with some quite good audience figures. Recent episodes have covered:

Episode 15: John Downer on Fukushima and quantitative risk assessment Episode 16: Michael Holloway and the Iraqi Grain Disaster (no particular connection there)

Episode 17: Glenbrook, Waterfall and failing to learn from accidents
Episode 18: Friendly fire and data safety (yes, there is a connection there)
Episode 19: Through Life Safety, Alaska Airlines 261, and Star Trek
Transporters

The strongest feedback has been from episodes featuring interviews, and part of the hidden agenda of DisasterCast is to support public communication of science (science communicators often keep score by how well they help other scientists communicate).

I'm looking for some interview subjects for the next few episodes.

Hopefully Michael and John will agree that it wasn't a painful experience, and that they were able to fairly represent their own views. Also, you don't need to be famous or outspoken. Every safety practitioner or researcher has interesting things to say, (and a subset of ideas or stories that
aren't classified or confidential).

For those in the unfortunate position of having to worry about these things, podcasting is really easy to provide impact statistics for. The DisasterCast audience
is mostly non-academic (as far as I can tell less than 20% academic, 50% in some sort of safety job, and the rest just general public interested in the topics), and I
collect episode stats through a verified service.

For those who don't have to worry about "impact", public engagement is fun, and the audience is much bigger than a typical class or conference room.

Please let me know if you're interested.

Drew

My system safety podcast: http://disastercast.co.uk My phone number: +44 (0) 7783 446 814
University of York disclaimer:
http://www.york.ac.uk/docs/disclaimer/email.htm

The System Safety Mailing List
systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Received on Wed Nov 06 2013 - 19:49:27 CET