Re: [SystemSafety] More on Bookout-Schwarz/Toyota

From: Andrew Rae < >
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 10:05:44 +0000

Peter,
Thanks for finding and sharing these. Can I ask for an opinion from you and others who have followed this, on the likely situation.

My understanding (as someone with no inside information, just following press and academic opinion):

  1. The reports of unintended acceleration follow the pattern of socially-propogated concerns, making it possible, maybe probable, that there were no underlying unintended acceleration events caused by software faults
  2. None of the car models concerned had an independent recording device allowing _other_ causes of the unintended acceleration to to be confirmed.
  3. The NASA report found problems with the software, but none that they thought were likely to be a cause of unintended accleration under the circumstances of the set of accidents they looked at.
  4. The Bookout trial evidence was heavily critical of the software, and found plausible ways that unintended acceleration could be caused by the software, but nothing directly linking these possibilities to the Bookout events.

Is this a fair summary?

My system safety podcast: http://disastercast.co.uk My phone number: +44 (0) 7783 446 814
University of York disclaimer:
http://www.york.ac.uk/docs/disclaimer/email.htm

On 9 November 2013 18:53, Peter Bernard Ladkin <ladkin_at_xxxxxx