Re: [SystemSafety] More on Bookout-Schwarz/Toyota

From: Nancy Leveson < >
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 05:11:21 -0500

Is this a fair summary?

For one thing, as I understand it, NASA was not allowed to look at the detailed code. The NASA results are meaningless.

Nancy

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 5:05 AM, Andrew Rae <andrew.rae_at_xxxxxx

> Peter,
> Thanks for finding and sharing these. Can I ask for an opinion from you
> and others who have followed this, on the likely situation.
>
> My understanding (as someone with no inside information, just following
> press and academic opinion):
>
> 1) The reports of unintended acceleration follow the pattern of
> socially-propogated concerns, making it possible, maybe probable, that
> there were no underlying unintended acceleration events caused by
> software faults
>
> 2) None of the car models concerned had an independent recording device
> allowing _other_ causes of the unintended acceleration to to be confirmed.
>
> 3) The NASA report found problems with the software, but none that they
> thought were likely to be a cause of unintended accleration under the
> circumstances of
> the set of accidents they looked at.
>
> 4) The Bookout trial evidence was heavily critical of the software, and
> found plausible ways that unintended acceleration could be caused by the
> software, but nothing directly linking these possibilities to the Bookout
> events.
>
> Is this a fair summary?
>
> My system safety podcast: http://disastercast.co.uk
> My phone number: +44 (0) 7783 446 814
> University of York disclaimer:
> http://www.york.ac.uk/docs/disclaimer/email.htm
>

> On 9 November 2013 18:53, Peter Bernard Ladkin <
> ladkin_at_xxxxxx >
>> This analysis goes deeper than what I've seen to date. It links parts of
>> Phil Koopman's testimony (Phil tells me he is not the source) and *Barr's
>> slides*, which like his testimony, are an object lesson in presentation.
>>

>> http://www.safetyresearch.net/2013/11/07/toyota-unintended-acceleration-and-the-big-bowl-of-spaghetti-code/
>>
>> PBL
>>
>> Prof. Peter Bernard Ladkin, University of Bielefeld and Causalis Limited

Prof. Nancy Leveson
Aeronautics and Astronautics and Engineering Systems
MIT, Room 33-334
77 Massachusetts Ave.
Cambridge, MA 02142

Telephone: 617-258-0505