Re: [SystemSafety] NYTimes: The Next Accident Awaits

From: Martyn Thomas < >
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 13:50:49 +0000

I'm a non-exec Director at the UK's Health and Safety Laboratory (www.hsl.gov.uk). We carry out the basic research that underpins the UK's regulation of occupational health and safety, ranging from reducing accidents on construction sites and improving the tethering of loads on lorries, through to reproducing and analysing major explosions (such as Buncefield - http://www.buncefieldinvestigation.gov.uk/) and destruction-testing the physical integrity of tankers and rolling-stock.

We also undertake commercial work that uses our unusual experimental and analysis capabilities and very strong science base.

The UK is unusual in having a goal-based, safety-case regulatory regime and a regulator (HSE) with its own expert research establishment (HSL). We are getting an increasing number of approaches from Governments in the Far and Middle East who see the UK's good performance in occupational Health and Safety and who want to investigate setting up similar goal-based regulation.

Maybe there is something in the HSE/HSL approach that the US chemical industry could benefit from.

Regards

Martyn
Martyn Thomas CBE FREng

> A worthy opinion piece from the Chair of the US Chemical Safety Board. Note his suggestion that identifying hazards and mitigation is just well-established best practice. I can say from experience that it is not yet in Europe in all industries with safety aspects, even though he holds Europe up as having a factor of three fewer chemical accidents as the US.

The System Safety Mailing List
systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Received on Thu Jan 30 2014 - 14:51:04 CET