Re: [SystemSafety] NYTimes: The Next Accident Awaits

From: Derek M Jones < >
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2014 16:13:49 +0000

Peter,

As a non-expert I am persuaded by Nancy's arguments.

> A. To me, a safety case is some joined-up set of documents which purport to demonstrate that a

You are describing what a safety case should be. However, I can write any document I like and call it a "Safety Case".

The thrust of Nancy's argument, as I understand it, is that sufficiently expert reviewers who have the time to review documents are likely to be available (the count of people vs. oil rigs in UK and US was very interesting).

If company management are willing to cut corners, and write shoddy safety cases to save money, then without adequate review a "safety case" approach appears to be fatally flawed.

So far I have not seen arguments from anybody on this list that address this fundamental flaw.

--
Derek M. Jones                  tel: +44 (0) 1252 520 667
Knowledge Software Ltd          blog:shape-of-code.coding-guidelines.com