Re: [SystemSafety] Safety Cases

From: Peter Bernard Ladkin < >
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 09:50:10 +0100

On 2/11/14 1:59 AM, Tracy White wrote:
> ....I have been on a project where somebody wanted a hazard log entry for ‘using the wrong steel’ and ‘using the wrong colour paint’

Like you, I have been in engineering discussions in which people fail to make the distinction between functional safety and other types of safety.

The example I use in
http://www.rvs.uni-bielefeld.de/publications/books/ComputerSafetyBook/12-Kapitel_12.pdf is that of a level crossing (grade crossing), in which there are dangers arising through proper and improper functioning of the warning and barrier mechanisms, and sometimes through design (impatient people are tempted to slalom through half-barriers, and this continues to be a cause of collisions), as well as possible non-functional dangers (the paint on the barriers is leaded and flakes off into the environment or onto the hands of passers-by; one of the pedestrian barriers has a projecting screw on which people may snag themselves).

systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Received on Tue Feb 11 2014 - 09:50:23 CET