Re: [SystemSafety] Logic

From: John Knight < >
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 13:02:05 -0500


Note that I was suggesting concepts that I would like to see included in higher education, not commenting on current practice.

As many have noted, current practice in a variety of industries in several countries rarely (although there are exceptions) includes significant rigour let alone application of formal methods.

On 2/16/14, 12:11 PM, RICQUE Bertrand (SAGEM DEFENSE SECURITE) wrote:
>
> * Engineers are responsible for what they do.
>
> This depends on the countries and their local engineering cultures and
> legal system. In France engineers are not personally responsible. The
> boss of the company is responsible. Engineer is not a regulated
> position such as dentist or lawyer …
>
> * Engineering is a profession not some amateur activity.
>
> Yes but you sincerely believe that you are a good professional and
> have no reason to doubt about that as long as nobody demonstrates you
> that you are actually an amateur.
>
> * Mathematics is an essential component of professional computer
> engineering.
>
> Yes but :
>
> 1.Having never been thought that they were essential, you sincerely
> believe you don’t need them as long as nobody demonstrates you that
> you actually do.
>
> 2.The associated level of maths is more relevant from a master degree
> than a bachelor degree, which means that, at least in France:
>
> a.You don’t what to do with the existing automation engineer population
>
> b.You don’t have the budget to replace bachelors by masters.
>
> Bertrand Ricque
>
> Program Manager
>
> Optronics and Defence Division
>
> Sights Program
>
> Mob : +33 6 87 47 84 64
>
> Tel : +33 1 59 11 96 82
>
> Bertrand.ricque_at_xxxxxx >
> c.
>
> *From:*systemsafety-bounces_at_xxxxxx > [mailto:systemsafety-bounces_at_xxxxxx > Behalf Of *John Knight
> *Sent:* Sunday, February 16, 2014 5:58 PM
> *To:* Peter Bernard Ladkin; knight_at_xxxxxx > *Cc:* systemsafety_at_xxxxxx > *Subject:* Re: [SystemSafety] Logic
>
> Peter,
>
>
> obviously I agree with much of what you say. But I am discussing with people who believe that we
> constitute an exception to much of it.
>
>
> I think we are talking about different things. Research projects need
> software rapid prototypes to support investigation in areas such as AI
> and robotics. These are "throw-away" prototypes that should never
> make it into production and usually don't.
>
> I am talking about software products that are part of engineered
> computer systems which will subject others (possibly the general
> public) to risk. Higher education has a responsibility to prepare
> professional engineers to perform that engineering. That education
> needs to make it clear that:
>
> * Engineers are responsible for what they do.
> * Engineering is a profession not some amateur activity.
> * Mathematics is an essential component of professional computer
> engineering.
>
> In response to the comment from Les Chambers:
>
> "We must find a way to bring formal methods out of the lab and into
> general use."
>
> I generally agree. But I note that we have industrial strength
> systems such as SPARK Ada, industrial scope use of such systems such
> as the NATS iFACTS system, and substantial evidence from Peter Amey
> and his colleagues that applying such technology is cheaper and better
> than the informal alternatives.
>
> -- John
>
> #
> " Ce courriel et les documents qui lui sont joints peuvent contenir
> des informations confidentielles, être soumis aux règlementations
> relatives au contrôle des exportations ou ayant un caractère privé.
> S'ils ne vous sont pas destinés, nous vous signalons qu'il est
> strictement interdit de les divulguer, de les reproduire ou d'en
> utiliser de quelque manière que ce soit le contenu. Toute exportation
> ou réexportation non autorisée est interdite.Si ce message vous a été
> transmis par erreur, merci d'en informer l'expéditeur et de supprimer
> immédiatement de votre système informatique ce courriel ainsi que tous
> les documents qui y sont attachés."
> ******
> " This e-mail and any attached documents may contain confidential or
> proprietary information and may be subject to export control laws and
> regulations. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified
> that any dissemination, copying of this e-mail and any attachments
> thereto or use of their contents by any means whatsoever is strictly
> prohibited. Unauthorized export or re-export is prohibited. If you
> have received this e-mail in error, please advise the sender
> immediately and delete this e-mail and all attached documents from
> your computer system."
> #
>



The System Safety Mailing List
systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Received on Sun Feb 16 2014 - 19:02:22 CET

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.0 : Tue Apr 23 2019 - 02:17:06 CEST