Re: [SystemSafety] Logic

From: Martyn Thomas < >
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 15:49:34 +0000

On 18/02/2014 14:36, Derek M Jones wrote:
> The practical usefulness of formal logic for anything but the smallest
> problem is wildly overblown in computer science and I continue to be
> amazed by the claims made by the proponents of this approach

I have seen mathematically formal methods used successfully on industrial projects involving more than a hundred engineers and thousands of person-days of effort. I have seen formal proofs carried out on safety-critical metro systems by industrial engineers at Siemens Transportation and on the message choreographies for electronic commerce systems by software engineers at SAP.

In my opinion, the larger and more complex a system is, the more it requires the use of abstraction to master the complexity; abstraction without formal logic is just arm-waving.

Martyn Thomas

The System Safety Mailing List
systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Received on Tue Feb 18 2014 - 16:49:57 CET