Re: [SystemSafety] Static Analysis

From: Les Chambers < >
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 12:00:51 +1000

Derek
You seem to be suggesting that one should let truth stand in the way of a good story!
As for the 500 million lines of code. Healthcare.gov is a class of service oriented architecture. I suspect there is a lot of legacy code involved in the various service organisations that this system interfaces with; they probably counted them.
As for brand-new code, you are correct. The contract award was September 2011. Even if 55 organisations were involved (many of which probably did not write software) it would be nigh on impossible to accumulate that level of new code in the time allocated. Especially as there was significant rewriting going on as government changed its policies. As to the credibility of the witness (Morgan Wright); did you read to the end of the referenced document? His resume looks impressive.

Let me speak plainly. The point of my weeping is: the archetypal behaviour we are witnessing here. In common with the safety critical domain, the computer security domain is redolent with good process, cornucopia of excellent white papers, technical literature, war stories and battalions of experts.
But the people at the coalface doing the work aren't listening! Les