Re: [SystemSafety] MH370

From: Matthew Squair < >
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 08:17:40 +1100

Absolutely, nothing is perfect. But would I prefer an alternate to months of trawling the abyssal plain with a side scanning sonar? You betcha. Especially if it's a very, very cheap alternative.

Matthew Squair

MIEAust, CPEng
Mob: +61 488770655
Email; Mattsquair_at_xxxxxx
Web: http://criticaluncertainties.com

On 11 Mar 2014, at 8:02 am, Peter Bernard Ladkin < ladkin_at_xxxxxx

Prof. Peter Bernard Ladkin, University of Bielefeld and Causalis Limited

On 10 Mar 2014, at 21:40, Matthew Squair <mattsquair_at_xxxxxx

The really frustrating thing is that a simple and very cheap solution to this problem was proposed years ago by the inventor of the original black box and...nothing.

Well, you separate the black box and then you have possibly two problems, rather than one, to solve, namely: (a) where is the hull? and (b) where is the separated black box?

Like many such "solutions", it is a solution only if it works perfectly.

I am very impressed by the fact that *all* black boxes have been found. So it sounds like a "solution" to a problem that has not as yet occurred. Only a few of these searches involved ingenious new search techniques: maybe five. And now we have those techniques!

PBL

The System Safety Mailing List
systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Received on Mon Mar 10 2014 - 22:17:53 CET