Re: [SystemSafety] OpenSSL Bug

From: Steve Tockey < >
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 21:06:58 +0000

"... through societal processes, often spurred by the legal system."

Which, history seems to indicate, was driven by some significant failure of some sort. So, to get back to PBL's original question, "Isn't it time we started a serious, when necessary aggressive, campaign against this kind of software malpractice?", This is the kind of failure that leads to the societal processes and the spurring of the legal systems. Just wait for someone to be able to prove that they lost of ton of money from their bank accounts due to the SSL defect and then turn around and sue the pants off whoever shipped that SSL code. Same for any of the recent spate of defects.

People generally haven't cared about defective software until now because the defects didn't cause significant harm to them, personally. But now it's getting personal.

Developers and their corporations haven't cared because their customers haven't cared. All that's changing now.

And, I should add, this is part of the reason that many of us involved in the SWEBOK Guide effort (and related efforts) have been at it for so many years. When the proverbial crap hits the fan--and it's getting really close to doing exactly that--the software industry needs to have a damn good story about what changes are needed. Without that good story, the governments will take a stab and throw something obnoxious at us. With things like SWEBOK Guide, we hope to be prepared in advance with a reasonable, meaningful solution.

On the topic of strongly typed vs. weakly typed languages, there are advantages and disadvantages to each. The issue isn't at all the tool. The issue is the intelligence and professionalism of the tool user. Don't blame C, even in a strongly typed language sometimes the type ranges need to be declared wide enough that things like this still happen. Blame the idiot programmer for not understanding design by contract, code semantics, etc. and for not putting in a range check that would be appropriate for that point in the execution. Blame the lazy, stupid, incompetent, ... programmer, not the language.

And, please, stop calling them "bugs" in the first place. The term is simply too cute and de-emphasizes the seriousness of the situation. It's a DEFECT, plain and simple. Call it that. In fact, a consultant friend of mine recommends we don't even call them "defects". He says, "Call them what they really are: programmer malpractice".