Re: [SystemSafety] OpenSSL Bug

From: Chris Hills < >
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 11:37:54 +0100

C is not the problem.
The way C is taught and used is the problem.

If C was taught, like ADA as part of a SW Engineering (not "programming" or "coding") in a culture of high reliability with the correct tools and process it would be fine.

Static analysis, well the first lint, was invented by Johnson (on the K&R team) before they had even finished launching C in the 1970's. Yet it is only recently as many as 20% of C programmers use static analysis. The 20% is straw polls from several sources across UK and USA. I think the 20% is an improvement on the past :-(

Even with those who phone me for "MISRA-C Checkers", because they "have to do MISRA", many just want a MISRA-C checker. They don't see the need for a static analyser! We should have stipulated in MISRA-C that you must use MISRA-C with a static analyser.

However the fact that there are very many critical systems programmed in C that are performing correctly (so far :-) shows that *properly used* C is safe... It is just that so few use it properly.

The worry is that in the UK the government want to generate more "coders" (the new buzz word).

It is going to get worse before it gets better.

Regards
 Chris