Re: [SystemSafety] OpenSSL Bug

From: Ian Broster < >
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 16:45:48 +0100

> The real questions, I think, are (a) why do we put up with such
> disclaimers on software that is part of a commercial offering?, and (b)
> what can be done to make vendors take responsibility for their software?

Software vendors generally do take responsibility for their software. :)

Part b) The first obligation to meet that responsibility is to fix the software when the client reports a bug. If that fails then you can have a refund of whatever you paid for it.

Part a) If you want people to assume some liability for how SOMEONE ELSE USES their software, then you're going to have to pay an awful lot more for your software.

Ian

--
Dr Ian Broster, General Manager
Rapita Systems Ltd

For real-time verifications issues and discussion, follow the Rapita Systems blog
http://www.rapitasystems.com/blog