Re: [SystemSafety] OpenSSL Bug

From: Dewi Daniels < >
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 17:40:12 +0100

Mike,

In the case of both the Heartbleed Bug and the Apple SSL vulnerability that was reported earlier this year, I find it shocking how little verification must have been carried out before the software was shipped and installed on a very large number of web sites and mobile devices. In the safety-critical world, we carry out extensive verification before a software intensive system is cleared to enter service. In the case of OpenSSL, organisations installed software that came with no warranty. The final cost of the Heartbleed Bug could easily surpass the financial cost of an aircraft accident. If it doesn't, we've been lucky this time.

I suggest that open source software licenses should be expanded to mandate that open source software must be distributed with its verification evidence, not just the source code. That way, potential users could assess for themselves how well the software had been verified and be in a position to carry out additional verification should that be necessary. After all, the Agile Manifesto states "We have come to value *working* software over comprehensive documentation".

Yours,

Dewi Daniels | Managing Director | Verocel Limited

Direct Dial +44 1225 718912 | Mobile +44 7968 837742 | Email