Re: [SystemSafety] OpenSSL Bug

From: C. Michael Holloway < >
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 12:23:31 -0400

On 4/16/14 11:36 AM, Steve Tockey wrote:
> Actually I'm going to respectfully disagree with that. I'm going to claim
> I can trace it back to incomplete requirements & resulting inadequate
> design.

I agree that this trace is possible. It is possible for nearly all (perhaps all) errors in software to be analyzed so as to find a plausible way in which the error is "really" a mistake in requirements.

Just as it is possible to "blame" the pilot for nearly every airplane accident, so, too it is possible to "blame" the requirements for nearly every software problem. The latter is no more useful than the former.

--
/*cMh*/

*C. Michael Holloway*, Senior Research Engineer
Safety Critical Avionics Systems Branch, Research Directorate
NASA Langley Research Center / MS 130 Hampton VA 23681-2199 USA
office phone: +1.757.864.1701 /often forwarded to/ +1.757.598.1707

The words in this message are mine alone; neither blame nor credit NASA
for them.