Re: [SystemSafety] OpenSSL Bug

From: Chris Hills < >
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 07:38:29 +0100

I agree with Todd the biggest problem is the attitudes of the people. We have seen this with the development of Agile and people actually wanting to use it for critical systems.

At one time we had Analysts and programmers. Now the Analysts seem to have gone and SW developers seem to thing SW is all about writing code. Whereas on a SW project it should be 86% requirements and design and 15% coding and unit test.

Until there is a sea change in the way the majority of software is developed no change in processes will work.

BTW the process is fixed.... the V model works well but most don't have the discipline to work to it. BTW I talk to a LOT of developers from a LOT of companies. I visit them all the time and see the same things repeated time after time.

To be fair it is not all the programmers. Often middle and senior management are looking for cheap, short cuts and "efficiencies". Then the problem is the Programmers don't seem to be able to explain their own profession to others to show why money needs to be spent or what appears to be expensive time consuming steps are worth doing in the long run. Then again for the average British accountant "long term" is 3-6 months :-( .

Regards
 Chris