Re: [SystemSafety] words you cannot use at GM

From: Peter Bernard Ladkin < >
Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 09:19:36 +0200

This would seem to be one of the disadvantages of not taking IEC/ISO standards seriously. In European arbitration, the claim "the applicable international standard says...." is mostly taken very seriously by the arbitrators, I understand.

Not that the standards are perfect, or even wonderful..... :-) But they do tend to say " there is no such thing as zero risk". Indeed, in IEC 61511 you're only "allowed" to assume that an otherwise-unqualified process control system has a failure rate of 1 in 10 ophours or worse.

PBL Prof. Peter Bernard Ladkin, University of Bielefeld and Causalis Limited

> On 21 May 2014, at 00:02, Eric Scharpf <EScharpf_at_xxxxxx >
> Unfortunately this is not surprising. I have dealt with other US companies which have indicated that any statement acknowledging a non-zero risk from their equipment invites legal damages in potential product liability lawsuits.

The System Safety Mailing List
systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Received on Wed May 21 2014 - 09:19:43 CEST